Monday, December 26, 2011

On Being a Mom


In 1997 when my husband and I  decided I'd become a SAHM (stay at home mom) we knew we were committing to a one income lifestyle. As our sons grew to school age we also decided to homeschool. And so I was a SAHM, (with all that implies), and added teacher to that long list of responsibilities. Challenging at times? Yes! Rewarding? Totally! My boys were my shadows. We went everywhere together.Despite my trepidation and fear of the unknown I taught them their three R's...reading/writing/rithmatic! Indulge me in a moment of boastfulness :)

Financially we did ok; never needing anything, always owned a home, took a vacation, had clothes on our backs. We didn't have a maid or gardener...those were roles that were included in my job description. Along with cook, nurse, party planner, den mother, taxi driver, and decorator to name a few.

And so in my 38th year I found myself with the proverbial 'light at the end of the tunnel' attitude. I had successfully been homeschooling for 10 years and knew I had another 5 years to go.  Then I'd be able to jump back into the work force and start contributing financially to the household. We'd be adding to our bottom line significantly! I'd have another identity beside 'mom' which gets a bum rap in our society.  But alas, the Lord had other plans for me and here I am 41 years old with a nearly two year old son. The light moved on me or was it the tunnel?

But look at him...he's every bit of cute, happy, baby boy that my other two were at his age. I am blessed...I get to experience what was waning with my older two all over again. But it's also different. I've got two built in baby sitters! 

And so this blog of mom-servations is born from the need to get things off my chest. I'm dealing with teens and toddlers...I've got a lot on my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment