Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Call me a Facebook stalker!

Stalker: (noun):  is a term commonly used to refer to unwanted and obsessive attention by an individual or group to another person
Well, I never considered myself a stalker, until my oldest son labeled me as such. But now that I think about it...I guess I am!  It's important to me that I know who they are spending time with and what they are doing with said time.  I certainly don't think I'm obsessive, although I guess the attention that I place in 'research' is unwanted. 

I think of this as more of a character profile project than stalking and thanks to Facebook researching this has become relatively easy. It's not a big secret that I regularly check on my sons friends. I check on the statuses that they've commented on as well as comments that were left by others. I'm glad that these kids haven't figured out the concept of privacy settings!


I encourage all parents to visit their teens on Facebook regularly. See who their friends are and what type of things they are posting. You may be in for a big surprise. Just because they are more independent doesn't mean that they make wise choices all of the time. They still need the occasional monitoring, OK...stalking... to keep them on track.  My sons don't appreciate this now, but hopefully some day they will.   After all, I'm not their friend, I'm their MOM!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, awesome and again I say--awesome! Anyone can be a mother, but it takes a lot of time, effort and prayer to parent wisely...you go girl and TKS immensely for sharing your nuggets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...it takes one to know one!! And you're a veteran of parenting 7 teens...who all turned out wonderfully! That's batting a thousand in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so true...you're not their friend, you're their Mom. That's the missing piece in today's families. I wish more parents would get that! I hope I continue to remember that as our girls become teenagers...oh me, oh my! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gloria...you've got a some time, but it sure does go by fast! I'm sure you're going to do an awesome job with the girls!

    ReplyDelete