Monday, January 23, 2012

Paper or Plastic?

As a SAHM, there are many jobs that we are responsible for. Job's that are unglamorous, redundant and never ending. In fact, people with huge disposable incomes hire others to perform these mundane tasks. You know what I'm talking about...cooking, cleaning, laundry and my nemesis...grocery shopping.

Some people love this task, but not me. For me I liken it to a trip to the dentist. Sometimes I even put it off so long that we only have one can of beans and are using stale hot dog buns to make our sandwiches. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much!

Let me offer you a glimpse into my weekly grocery shopping ordeal. After dragging myself to the store, I grab a cart and start filling it with a variety of food items checking ingredients and prices. I rarely use a list and prefer the challenge of remembering what we need as I walk down every aisle. Sometimes I have to take the baby. He doesn't like to sit in the seat, he'd rather be in the cart. When that gets too full I try to put him back in the seat which he resists and I end up holding him for a short while before I relent and put him down. Then he runs up the aisle touching everything and putting random things in the cart. I try not to take him if at all possible since it adds about 30 minutes to the already dreaded task.


After the cart is full, I wait in line to take everything I just placed in the cart out again. I usually take the time to separate my items into groups...refrigerated, pantry and cleaning or hygiene items. I do this in the hopes that the cashier will keep them in my segregated groups to make it easier once I'm home. I don't know why I bother.

Then depending on the store I'm in, (I like to mix things up for my own amusement so I don't go to the same store every week...call me crazy), I may also have to take my already scanned items put them in bags so then I can put them back in the cart for a second time. I actually don't mind this too much since I am then in control of keeping my groceries segregated. I use plastic bags, forgive me for always forgetting to bring the recyclable ones that I purchased.

For some reason the bags never fit in the cart quite the same way they first did and I can't see past the pile in front of me. I get to the minivan, open the door and have to move all the toys and miscellaneous stuff out of the way to make room for the groceries, which I am now handling for a FOURTH time!

I call my teens on the way home so they can be prepared to help me unload. I usually grab 4 or 5 bags on my way up to the door. Soon the counters are covered with plastic bags and I begin unloading them into their final resting space. In case you've been counting, I've now handled these things SIX times before it's all said and done.

And now for the pinnacle moment of my shopping excursion: The moment someone asks for a specific item that either I didn't know we needed or forgot proving that my 'by memory' technique is flawed and I should definitely make a list. At this point I need a glass of wine.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, I posted on your facebook......

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL! I chuckled while experiencing a first--counting how many times I handle a trip of groceries. :) Your posts are hilariously inspiring and sometimes tearfully gripping.Hugs from a fan in the Rockies!!

    ReplyDelete